Organization of the Strategic Management Section
The Strategic Management Section of OSBM is responsible for oversight and coordination of various statewide management areas. These efforts aim to ensure that agencies are adequately preparing for the future, decision makers are provided with detailed information in order to assess agency management, and citizens are informed about state government work and subsequent results. The overarching goal of this section is to improve state government performance and management. Responsibilities of the section include:
- Statewide Strategic Planning
- Review Agency Plans – Identify guidelines to support agencies in developing clear objectives and targets that will guide their budget and management decisions and enable them to achieve the goals. Evaluate the agency plans and the agency planning process, including its linkage to the budget process.
- Statewide Strategic Plan - Work with the Governorís office to communicate statewide goals and priorities that agency plans should support. Develop a plan to implement the Governorís Agenda with a process to monitor its progress.
- Program Performance - Establish framework and coordinate efforts to track program level performance information to support budget and policy decisions.
- State Data Center – A collaborative program between the US Census Bureau and the states that provides for the collection, production, analysis, organization, dissemination, and explanation of government statistical data. Strategic Management is the lead in a network of over 40 affiliates in North Carolina.
- Work Force Salaries and Benefits – Provide policy and budget analysis of state employee salaries and benefits, including position control.
- NCGrants – Establish rules for the uniform administration of state grants per G.S. 143C-6. Oversee process for submission of all statutorily required annual reports from non-governmental grantees and provides assistance to both grant recipients and state granting agencies in meeting and managing reporting requirements.
- Statewide Information Technology oversight - Major responsibilities include approval of agency projects and expansion requests, management of IT consolidation efforts, review of IT contractor conversion requests, approval of ITS service rates, and oversight of the SCIO/ITS budget.
Clients – Other OSBM sections, Governorís staff, Cabinet and Council of State agencies, and the General Assembly.
Staff – Staff members have advanced degrees and experience in a variety of areas necessary for the implementation of statewide management initiatives, including budget development, strategic planning, and performance evaluation.
Office of State Budget and Management
20320 Mail Service Center
Raleigh , NC 27699-0320
Telephone: (919) 807-4700
FAX: (919) 733-0640